Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Nearing the End - Nov 12

We are nearing the end of our work in Russia. We have spent the past 4 weeks here working with the elderly, and organizations that provide care for developmentally disabled children, HIV+ mothers and their children and a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center.

Every time we come we love the Russian people even more. We wish you could be with us to understand the many hardships they go through just to live. This morning there was no water in our apartment – this meant no coffee and no bathroom. Now we know this can be a regular occurrence here. There have been many times when we’ve not had water.

But, still, maybe water is not the most important issue. Loneliness, lack of love and rejection are the hardest. Let me give you an example. My niece Cassidy-Rae has cerebral palsy. She's already had a number of operations. She requires intensive physical therapy and bolus feedings through a feeding tube into her stomach. Despite her physical challenges, she is rich in love. I've seen a number of kids in Russia and in America who haven't a tenth of the affection and real care afforded to Cassidy-Rae. This trip out, I was privy to more stories from women who had been through the uglier underbelly of Soviet life, as in exile, beatings, and loss of relatives to shooting or Gulag. Three stories in particular ended with a version of "God is good". I was sharing one story with a lady last night, who responded, "I could never forgive that." At this point, as you can tell, Bob and I are home. I'm posting what Bob had written overseas. Please take time to read the entries. I'll take one more post (later) to share that dynamic story of a woman who forgave because God had forgiven her so much.

Until later...

No comments: